Saturday 30 April 2011

Losing My Religion

Over the past week, there's been a flurry of newspaper print dedicated to reports that the numbers of Kiwis identifying themselves as having no religion is on the increase. The Dominion Post's cover story in last weekend's 'Your Weekend' magazine was entitled "For God's Sake", examining what a selection of Kiwis really believe. Following Anzac Day, the same newspaper contained a letter strongly complaining that the Dawn Service in Wellington was "tainted significantly by the declaration that 'our Lord and Saviour' is Jesus Christ." Then today, I discover Stuff.co.nz has a piece on the actual reasons for the decline in religion (increased life expectancy meaning people think that matters of eternity can wait till nearer the grave, apparently).

Since moving to NZ, and becoming a self-proclaimed Yorkshire Kiwi, I have generally found there to be a polite respect of religion and all things spiritual. However, in this, it's seemed that for many this is a hotchpotch of religions and beliefs, if you like, a spiritual pick and mix. Take for instance Bob Parker, Mayor of Christchurch, and a man who has remained remarkably steady in the face of tremendous adversity in that city. In the Dom Post cover story he says "I replace the word God with "good". I think there's good in everyone. That's how I think about it."

Mayor Parker's thoughts are not unique. Wellington's Mayor, Celia Wade-Brown expresses similar sentiments. "I realised that I didn't have a belief in a major supreme being but I believed in some of the tenets of major religions...they're excellent guiding principles of life." Both Mayors demonstrate that far from 'losing our religion', many New Zealanders today are 'choosing our religion'. Picking and choosing the bits we want to believe, making the truths we want for ourselves and discarding those we don't want.

As a Christian, I believe in truth. I believe in its importance and relevance to everyone. As the familiar expression says, truth does (sometimes) hurt. However, truth can also be very liberating.
I believe there is a God and that He has made Himself known. No matter how highly I think of myself, I am not and must not be the arbiter of who or what is God. If something is true, then it is true whether I believe it or not. You cannot choose who God really is or what God is like. At best (or worst), you can choose what will be god of your life and god of you, but this is simply filling your life with a false substitute for 'the real thing'.

Two of the most important questions of truth that must be considered are "Is there are a God?" and "What sort of God is there?"

In Jesus Christ, we have the answers to those questions - in John's account of Jesus' life, he writes "In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God." (John 1:1)
Later, we are told "The Word became flesh and made his dwelling among us. We have seen his glory, the glory of the one and only Son, who came from the Father, full of grace and truth." (John1:14)

The classic Kiwi pragmatism that makes our country such a likeable and positive place means we have a "Do It Myself" attitude to heaven. To be told you can't make it yourself goes against the grain. And yet, this is exactly what Jesus says when He claims "I am the Way...noone comes to the Father except through Me." (John 14:6) 

Put simply, there is no other way to God except through Jesus.

And Jesus' claim to be "the Life" sits uneasily for many. For many here in NZ, we have the good life. Life here for many is great - we have the beautiful scenery, good people, whanau and friends, and yet, Jesus says "I am...the Life." (John 14:6)

In light of His life, His teachings and claims, and His death and resurrection, I am convinced that New Zealanders today need to seriously consider "Who is Jesus?" and "How do I respond to Him?" Far from being irrelevant to NZ society, or a character who (according to Jason Manford in his Dom Post letter) "has no place, or right to be revered, at any state event", He is absolutely relevant, completely interested and vitally important in New Zealand and New Zealanders' lives today.


1 comment:

  1. I believe your assessment is correct - there's no way to God except through Jesus. I try to read widely to stimulate my mind and I am refreshed when I see others boldly standing up for faith!

    Kindly,
    Steve King
    http://about.me/booksatthebeach

    ReplyDelete