Monday 4 April 2011

Welcome!

Welcome to this new blog!

For some time, I have tossed around the idea of creating some kind of webspace that connects the Good News of Jesus with the world around me.  Living in New Zealand, I am keen to see Kiwi made resources which make that connection.  I anticipate this coming from a NZ perspective.

The writer and church minister John Stott is globally respected and renowned for his thoughtful, clear and compassionate explanations of the Bible.  He became known for encouraging Christians to be "double-listeners" - those who would listen to the voice of God as shown in the Bible, but also those who listen to the voices of the world around us as shown in culture.

Culture is all around us and features at several levels.  In the 21st Century, that culture comes in numerous varied forms.  The movies, TV shows & programmes, music, the arts, the media, social media, the nation's mood, sport - all these and more demonstrate our culture.

I believe the Bible has important things to say that relate to each of these.  I also believe that Jesus Christ speaks into our lives as they are - He meets us where we are and has things to say that relate to the world around us.  He is far from some distant figurehead who has no bearing on our world today.

Francis Schaeffer was a Christian man who knew the importance of listening.  As someone who regularly interacted with people who did not believe what he believed, he used to say "If I had one hour to spend with someone, I would spend 55 minutes asking questions finding out what was troubling the individual and the last 5 minutes answering those questions."

As a Christian, like Schaeffer, I want to listen to the world around me - yes, I have things to say, but first I must listen.  As I listen to the world around me, the posts that appear here will be a response to the things I hear as I live, work and travel in NZ.  I trust the posts will be worth 'hearing'.

Until next time, keep listening!

No comments:

Post a Comment